Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Thoughts on Writing

I've spoken to people about being a writer before. When they ask what I want to do I usually tell them I want to write. With a certain amount of self-reflection though, this really isn't the best answer I could give. It seems to me that writing isn't something that I simply 'want' to do. I enjoy it, in much the way one enjoys a meal. There is a certain amount of pleasure that I derive from writing, but at the same time if I went without eating for too long I'd starve.

Writing is more than just something I feel that I want to do in my life. It is more of a necessity. When I go without writing for a long while I tend to become jittery and agitated. I start to get annoyed with people practically for no reason at all. So I've come to the conclusion, that whether or not I publish, I will write. I don't think I can go without it.

So, even though writing is something I enjoy I believe writing is an affliction. Living without writing is like living without food, I find I can only last so long. Even if all I do is ramble onto a piece of paper and discard it, I feel better. I write for myself, and this concludes me to the assurance that I won't stop writing, regardless of how long and how fruitless this pursuit may prove. This urge to write is a curse that I bear happily, despite my dependence on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment